GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 86277
use the linking of layers for more useful action than moving only
Last modified: 2004-12-22 21:47:04 UTC
Layers can be linked together to move them simultaniously. It would be nice
to be able to
* use the transformation tool on such a group
* have a 'merge linked' function, similar to 'merge visible'
Implementing the "merge linked" feature could be interesting. But
regarding other operations such as applying a transformation to the
linked layers, I would prefer to have this implemented in the context
of "layer groups" instead of relying to the "linked layers".
See bug #51112 for details. Should I mark this one as a duplicate?
I think groups/tree branches are more of a fixed structure you want to
keep for a long time.
Linking layers is a one-time action that you want to perform something
on. I don't think it's a duplicate.
Of course it will make sense to perform some tasks on a tree branch or
group too, including filters, transformations etc. But it's a
Since several bugs reports describe different but similar features
related to "groups of layers", here is a list for quick reference:
- "linked" layers: bug #51112, bug #86277, bug #86337.
- "active" layers: bug #79025, bug #98262 (dup).
I tend to see this the other way around than Raphael:
Linking layers should apply for all kinds of transformations. I don't
see any advantage of providing "Merge linked layers" however. You can
already achieve that using the "Merge visible layers" and it would
only complicate the user interface unnecessarily.
Fixed in CVS:
2003-05-12 Michael Natterer <email@example.com>
Added support for transforming linked layers, channels
and vectors. Fixes bug #86277.
(gimp_drawable_transform_tiles_flip): added "gdouble axis" and
calculate the resulting drawable offset.
(gimp_drawable_transform_flip): calculate the axis and pass it to
the function above.
(gimp_drawable_transform_[tiles_]affine): reordered parameters.
* app/core/gimpitem.[ch]: added virtual functions GimpItem::flip()
* app/vectors/gimpvectors.c: implement flip() and transform().
Note that all functions always transform the whole item,
regardless of a present selection.
* app/core/gimpitem-linked.[ch]: new files containing utility
functions which translate, flip and transform all linked items.
* tools/pdbgen/pdb/layer.pdb: use the new gimp_item_linked_*()
functions to translate, flip and transform all linked items.
* tools/pdbgen/pdb/transform_tools.pdb: follow
gimp_drawable_transform_affine() API change.
* app/pdb/transform_tools_cmds.c: regenerated.