After an evaluation, GNOME has moved from Bugzilla to GitLab. Learn more about GitLab.
No new issues can be reported in GNOME Bugzilla anymore.
To report an issue in a GNOME project, go to GNOME GitLab.
Do not go to GNOME Gitlab for: Bluefish, Doxygen, GnuCash, GStreamer, java-gnome, LDTP, NetworkManager, Tomboy.
Bug 729298 - Cannot properly access SMB shares mounted by gvfs 1.20.1
Cannot properly access SMB shares mounted by gvfs 1.20.1
Product: gvfs
Classification: Core
Component: general
Other Linux
: Normal major
: ---
Assigned To: gvfs-maint
: 729010 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Reported: 2014-05-01 01:40 UTC by Brian A Horne
Modified: 2014-05-10 07:25 UTC
See Also:
GNOME target: ---
GNOME version: ---

Log from test case (50.87 KB, text/plain)
2014-05-08 20:58 UTC, Brian A Horne

Description Brian A Horne 2014-05-01 01:40:06 UTC
I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 13.10 to Ubuntu 14.04 and immediately encountered problems connecting to and accessing files in shares on my local network. Now that I am running Ubuntu 14.04 and version 1.20.1-1ubuntu1 of gvfs, every time I attempted to read a file (images, music, documents) from an SMB share on my network, the software I am using reports an IO error, an aborted connection, or a corrupted file. Previously I could either navigate to the share I wanted to access or use the "connect to server" option in Nautilus, and I could read and write to all files without any trouble. Now, however, when I make a connection I can sometimes get a directory listing, but any attempt to read files on those shares results in an error, usually along the lines of "software caused connection abort." This happens whether I am attempting to read a JPEG image, an MP3, or a Deja Dup backup. (For some reason, text files do not seem to cause any trouble.)

Several other people seem to be reporting this same problem: ,

I tested the latest upstream kernel and found the same problem. I tested a fresh copy of Ubuntu 14.04 running on a USB stick and found the same problem, so this bug is not limited to upgrades. I have tried creating a new user account and the problem persists. The problem seems to be related to the new version of gvfs, because mounting network shares without gvfs still works. (The only workaround I've been able to find so far has been to edit my /etc/fstab file to create a permanent mount point, but this isn't much of a solution.)

I would be happy to provide any logfiles or additional information in order to help diagnose and resolve this bug.
Comment 1 Ross Lagerwall 2014-05-01 07:52:20 UTC
Thanks for the report.

Please run the following in a terminal:
pkill gvfs; GVFS_DEBUG=all GVFS_SMB_DEBUG=10 `find /usr/lib* -name 'gvfsd'` &> ~/log.txt

Then mount the smb share, reproduce the problem, and then upload log.txt in your home directory so we can see a log of what is happening.  If possible, it would be good if you could do the same but reproduce the problem using the gvfs command-line tools; e.g. gvfs-copy smb://host/path/to/image.jpg ~/Downloads/image.jpg

Please also indicate what smb server you are using and whether you have any smb.conf changes.

Given the lack of changes between gvfs's smb backend in 13.10 and 14.04, I think it is quite likely that the issue is caused by samba, not gvfs. Thanks.
Comment 2 Ross Lagerwall 2014-05-03 14:27:49 UTC
*** Bug 729010 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Ross Lagerwall 2014-05-03 14:28:38 UTC
As noted in the duplicated bug, this seems to be a libsmbclient issue, I have opened in the meantime for it.
Comment 4 Brian A Horne 2014-05-08 20:58:38 UTC
Created attachment 276202 [details]
Log from test case
Comment 5 Brian A Horne 2014-05-08 21:00:14 UTC

Thanks so much for your reply and for opening the new bug case for the likely
libsmbclient issue. I carried out the tests you requested and am attaching the
log file they produced.

The server I'm contacting is running on a home NAS, an Iomega 2 TB Home Media
Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition. Beyond that I'm not sure what specific
software the server is running. I'll do some checking and will get back to you
on that point.

In the meantime, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help diagnose
the problem.

Comment 6 Ross Lagerwall 2014-05-08 22:05:43 UTC
Yeah, this problem seems to be a common issue on these Iomega NAS devices with Samba 4.

Here's the error coming from libsmbclient:
smbc_read(0x7f5ee0006b80, 65534)
map_errno_from_nt_status: 32 bit codes: code=c00000b5
smbc errno NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT -> 110

There's little we can do from gvfs; however, I'm sure the Samba developers would like you to capture a wire trace and upload it to the previously mentioned Samba bug.

Comment 7 Brian A Horne 2014-05-09 15:08:38 UTC
Will do. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Comment 8 Jan Goyvaerts 2014-05-09 15:41:13 UTC
Maybe the info at this url can help to determine the server configuration:

I'm having the same trouble with the Medion MD86803. Which is also a 2TB portable NAS device.
Comment 9 Brian A Horne 2014-05-09 16:22:41 UTC
Thanks, Jan. I can now confirm that my NAS is running Samba 3.0.32. I've gone ahead and updated the bug here:
Comment 10 Ross Lagerwall 2014-05-10 07:25:22 UTC
Closing since we have an upstream bug now...