GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 573261
PDF: Letters above each other
Last modified: 2014-05-09 22:01:26 UTC
Please review the attached files, which show a Dia diagram generated with SVN r4297.
As you can see there, some of the letters are misplaced.
In the network cloud, it should read "Rieter\nWAN" (linebreak after Rieter). But the "W" and "A" are above each other.
In the lower left hand corner, it should read "Workgroup Server". But the "W" and the "o" and also the "r" (I think) overlap.
Upper right hand side: It should read "TcEnt" (under the box "DRE" and to the right side of the box "FMS". The label should be (more or less) centered under "DRE". It's displaced to the right. And the "T" and "c" overlap.
Lower right hand side: To the right of "msqlora", it should read "Tc\nEnt". The "T" and "c" overlap and are too far to the right. "Tc" should be centered above "Ent". And there's also a box which should read "ORA" (under the "winds00"). "R" and "A" overlap. "R" should be in the middle of "O" and "A" ("O" and "A" are at the correct spots).
Using Dia SVN r4297 on ArchLinux. I compiled Dia SVN by myself on this system.
Created attachment 129559 [details]
The "master" Dia diagram
Created attachment 129560 [details]
It's been generated by doing File → Export... → "Cairo Portable Document Format (*.pdf").
I get the same bad output if I do File → Print → Print to File.
Created attachment 129561 [details]
Screenshot of Evince, displaying the generated PDF file
In the screenshot, I rotated the PDF. But also in the original portrait format, it's bad.
Confirmed, when using "sans" on my Linux box. Changing the font to e.g. Arial makes the effect go away, which lets me assume this is caused by some pango/cairo kerning problem as described in bug #341481.
Unfortunately I did not find a way to code around the issue yet.
2009-03-28 Hans Breuer <email@example.com>
* plug-ins/cairo/diacairo-renderer.c : apparently I've found a
workaround for pango bug #341481. Or maybe bug #573261 always we mine.
Given the number of duplicates reported the workaround seems to be not complete. Reopening for reference.
*** Bug 584551 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 589322 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 588518 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 597036 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 598776 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Please update to Pango-1.26.1 or later, for me the following patch fixes the issue:
I confirm the new pango fixes this issue.
*** Bug 616716 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 705164 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Pango 1.32 with HarfBuzz reintroduced the issue, see bug 700592. Although for me the latter were not overlapping but had huge gaps in between. See https://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2014-February/msg00032.html for the discussion.
Supposed to be fixed once and for all by:
cherry-picked to dia-0-97 branch:
*** Bug 729856 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***