GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 792529
Update help pages
Last modified: 2021-06-10 21:20:42 UTC
Most of the help pages aren't exactly accurate, they haven't followed the changes through the last couple of years.
Some random issues (this list is definitely not complete) just to get the overall feeling:
- Introduction and Overview: I guess we should clearly decide whether this software is called "Terminal" or "GNOME Terminal" and be consistent across help pages, the About dialog etc.
- Use tabs: "File -> Close Terminal" is now "Close Tab". DND across windows is disabled.
- Copy and Paste: Maybe mention HTML mode.
- Hyperlinks: Maybe mention explicit hyperlinks. "Copy E-mail Address" is now "Copy Mail Address". Typo: "Sen*t* Mail To".
- Use Find: The word "Find" is black on the contents page, it's ugly. "Search -> Find" is now "Find -> Find". "Search backwards" now works differently.
- Change font and style: "Use the system fixed width font" is now "Custom font" (inverted). "Allow bold text is a shell specific feature" - huh?
- Color schemes: "If you wish to select a color from the color picker, click on +" - that window is opened now automatically.
- Windows and tabs: "Once you have set the preference, you can use Ctrl to invert the preference." Doesn't work me. Bug in the code (e.g. GMenu port) or bug in the docs?
- Character encoding: "Terminal ▸ Set Character Encoding ▸ Add or Remove…" no longer.
- Manage profiles: Will need to be rewritten after the prefs merge.
- Scrollbar preferences: "You can limit the number of lines of terminal output which are stored in memory." it's been stored on disk for how long now... about a decade? :)
and so on and so forth...
Plus add help for all the newly introduced options (like blinking, cell spacing).
Created attachment 367443 [details] [review]
First round of fixes
Here's the first big bunch of fixes, against current master (that is, no prefs-merge yet).
Comment on attachment 367443 [details] [review]
First round of fixes
Committed with a few additional improvements.
Still plenty of things to improve on...
-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --
This bug has been migrated to GNOME's GitLab instance and has been closed from further activity.
You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through this link to our GitLab instance: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-terminal/-/issues/7804.