GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 774728
Subtitle showing as rectangular box in android platform
Last modified: 2017-01-06 13:34:51 UTC
Created attachment 340319 [details]
Android test app
Subtitle is showing as rectangular box on android device irrespective of subtitle language. I tried english, german etc...
Modified test app for android studio (Windows) attached.
That means you have no fonts installed. That probably broke when you ported to Android studio ...
(In reply to Nicolas Dufresne (stormer) from comment #1)
> That means you have no fonts installed. That probably broke when you ported
> to Android studio ...
There is fontconfig folder in my app assets folder and contents are below.
As discussed with slomo_ on irc, he suggested that its a bug and I should file it.
Still means that you have no fonts visible in your installation ;-P The initialization code generated by the ndk-build script we provides sets various environment. Would it be possible to dump you environment variable and share ?
(In reply to Nicolas Dufresne (stormer) from comment #3)
> Still means that you have no fonts visible in your installation ;-P The
> initialization code generated by the ndk-build script we provides sets
> various environment. Would it be possible to dump you environment variable
> and share ?
I found the bug inside Android Studio. As per my understanding, when a project
is imported in Android Studio, it creates an Assets folder inside app folder.
But ideally it should be inside app/src/main folder otherwise android studio will not consider it as assets and will not be added in generated apk file. I created the same manually and copied all fontconfig stuff (fontconfig, fonts.conf, etc...) from gstreamer sdk to that folder and it started working. Currently I am using "Ubuntu-R" font file for subtitle rendering on my android phone and its working fine. Thanks for all your support.
I tried with english, spanish french, german subtitles and all are working.
But chinese and japanese language did not work. If you need more info for this,
I will share and working app and logs as well.
With the new gradle build system, we should be using app/src/main/assets. I'm pushing a fix to our Makefile to do this automatically.
Also fixed in 1.10, for which you'll need an addition to your app Gradle file:
We did it this way so as to not change the default in a bugfix release.