GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 750180
Fix different ways of writing Plug-in Plug-In Plugin
Last modified: 2017-03-21 16:58:59 UTC
In GIMP and the documentation seems to be different ways of writing this:
Would be nice to make them the same, so to only use one way of writing it.
The canonical writing is "Plug-In", can you make a patch for this please?
(against git master)
I'm not good at using git yet so i don't understand how to.
You simply say:
then edit files until you're happy, then:
git diff >foo.patch
then attach foo.patch here :)
err you say:
git clone git://git.gnome.org/gimp
Which PO files are the source files?
You wouldn't edit any po files, but .c files in app/, plug-ins/ and libgimp*/
What about "plug-ins".
Should it be "Plug-Ins" or "Plug-In's" or what ?
All user-visible strings should say "Plug-In" or the plural form "Plug-Ins",
and of course the genitive forms "Plug-In's" or "Plug-Ins'".
Created attachment 304405 [details] [review]
Fix most of the different spellings of "Plug-In"
Here is my patch that should fix most of them.
Note that I'm not used to git so don't know how to check the differences to check my changes.
That looks good. I'm going to commit this patch. We need name and email to properly apply the commit authorship. We have the email. Could you tell us your name please?
Wait, I didn't commit the patch for a reason :) Will have to look
Oups ok. I thought you were just overbooked and that I could lighten the workload by committing some easy patch. I'll let you have a look then.
For my own, apart from some plugin files which disappeared (so I skipped them when applying), and the fact that it changes also some "Plug-In" in comments as well (which is not public showing text, but is not much of a problem, I guess), looked good to me.
You can use "scootergrisen" as name for me.
Well, this is wrong :)
"Plug-In" is certainly not canonical. It's "plug-in" in the middle of a sentence or "Plug-in" in the beginning of a sentence. I suggest we go this way instead and only touch user-visible messages and code comments. Let's leave variables, filenames, and stuff alone, shall we?
Yeah this is why the patch is sitting there, my comment 8 wasn't quite
correct, and so is the patch...
Ok let's not keep this bug report forever. :-)
I ran a few `grep -rI '".*plugin.*"' * --include=*.c |grep -v include` and `grep -rI Plug-In * --include=*.c` and I reviewed results manually. I believe I got most cases.
I only took care of potentially visible strings (no comment fixing) since these are the important parts.
Author: Jehan <email@example.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 17:45:50 2017 +0100
Bug 750180 - Fix different ways of writing Plug-in Plug-In Plugin.
It was agreed that we should write "plug-in" consistently. Only possibly
user-visible strings were updated.
Thanks to scootergrisen for a first patch which could not make it
after changing decision on the canonical writing.
Also scootergrisen, thanks for the patch. Sorry it could not make it. The mistake was on our part.