GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 701908
Documentation references AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT which should not be used?
Last modified: 2016-01-20 15:11:04 UTC
The internationalization documentation  references AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT, however, according to , upstream gettext, i.e.
should be used. Perhaps the documentation could be updated? See also .
 refers to glib bug 624186, which suggests that AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT shall be
deprecated. That bug was filed almost 3 years ago. It has not been commented
or implemented. It depends on bug 622991, which has been commented, but not
implemented. The comments are mildly critical. It's not obvious that the
patch in that bug will be implemented, and that AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT will
really be deprecated. I let this bug depend on the two glib bugs.
Is there anything wrong with AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT? If not, perhaps we can leave
the gtkmm tutorial as it is until AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT really is deprecated.
From what I can see, AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT works fine, but so does AM_GNU_GETTEXT. My reason for reporting this issue was the referenced blog post . But I'm ok with having it depend on the glib bugs.
Now AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT has been deprecated. It's time to change the gtkmm
tutorial. But I suspect that it's not quite as simple as replacing
When I tested in a small program, ./autogen.sh stopped with
config.status: error: po/Makefile.in.in was not created by intltoolize.
That error message is mentioned in comment 0's ref . It's not obvious to me
what's the best way to fix the problem.
This requires more investigation. If I shall change the gtkmm tutorial, I want
to be reasonably sure that it becomes correct.
I have updated the gtkmm tutorial.
To avoid the error message mentioned in comment 3, call intltoolize after
autoreconf, autopoint or gettextize in autogen.sh.