GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 652663
Split widgets out into folks-gtk
Last modified: 2014-04-01 17:50:16 UTC
Prototype the widgets in gnome-contacts and then move it into folks-gtk as appropriate.
Move translatable strings into folks itself.
Every widget exposing lists of individuals/personas will need a filtering function capability.
• Single individual selector
• Multi individual selector (also allow selecting groups as a whole)
• Persona list for an individual
• Pull-down list for contacting an individual
• MUC setup widget/session management things (may be in a separate library so that it can link to Telepathy)
• E-mail style type-ahead search for contacts
Additional widgets we'll need:
• Individual display widget
• with flag for showing all Personas - like EmpathyIndividualWidget
• Individual link editor
• needs union of functionality in Empathy's editor and Gnome Contacts's editor while being flexible to be as simple as the Gnome Contacts version
• needs new functionality: show suggested links at the top of the list
All of these widgets (including Philip's, in comment #0) should be split out as their own dependent bugs.
Can you give a bit of background for this? It isn't clear to me what the goal is. Also, we don't currently use all those widgets in contacts...
(In reply to comment #2)
> Can you give a bit of background for this? It isn't clear to me what the goal
> is. Also, we don't currently use all those widgets in contacts...
I suspect this was filed as a result of the Contact management hackfest in Cambridge a few years ago. The idea was to create a re-usable library of contact management widgets, so that applications don’t have to keep re-inventing them. It’s an idea which has been floated (and implemented) many times before.
I’m now of the opinion that other applications would be better off lib-ifying widgets from gnome-contacts as and when they need them, rather than introducing an extra up-front development and maintenance cost by splitting the widgets out ahead of time.
So, unless you object, I’ll close this as WONTFIX. :-)