After an evaluation, GNOME has moved from Bugzilla to GitLab. Learn more about GitLab.
No new issues can be reported in GNOME Bugzilla anymore.
To report an issue in a GNOME project, go to GNOME GitLab.
Do not go to GNOME Gitlab for: Bluefish, Doxygen, GnuCash, GStreamer, java-gnome, LDTP, NetworkManager, Tomboy.
Bug 595434 - Mistranlation of figure.label in gnome-doc-utils
Mistranlation of figure.label in gnome-doc-utils
Product: l10n
Classification: Infrastructure
Component: Arabic [ar]
Other Linux
: Normal normal
: ---
Assigned To: Djihed Afifi
Djihed Afifi
Depends on:
Reported: 2009-09-17 09:20 UTC by Khaled Hosny
Modified: 2011-11-08 15:02 UTC
See Also:
GNOME target: ---
GNOME version: ---

Description Khaled Hosny 2009-09-17 09:20:26 UTC
In figures labels, the word "Figure " is not translated into Arabic, see

I'm not sure from where this string comes, but library-web module don't have such string and gnome-doc-utils is fully translated.
Comment 1 Frederic Peters 2009-09-17 09:31:21 UTC
Thanks for your report, I just checked gnome-doc-utils 0.17.1 is installed on the server, and it doesn't look like it's fully translated:

msgid ""
"<msgid>figure.label</msgid> <msgstr role='header'><i>Figure <number/></"
"i>&#x2003;</msgstr> <msgstr role='li'>Figure <number/>&#x2002;</msgstr> "
"<msgstr>Figure <number/></msgstr>"
msgstr ""
"<msgid>figure.label</msgid> <msgstr role='header'><i>Figure <number/></"
"i>&#x2003;</msgstr> <msgstr role='li'>ﺶﻜﻟ <number/>&#x2002;</msgstr> "
"<msgstr>ﺶﻜﻟ <number/></msgstr>"

I am reassigning to the sysadmin team, to request a newer gnome-doc-utils version.
Comment 2 Khaled Hosny 2009-09-22 13:13:40 UTC
If a newer version will take some time, can we just backport the translation?
Comment 3 Frederic Peters 2009-10-14 14:31:14 UTC
My deepest apologies to the sysadmin team, as a newer gnome-doc-utils didn't fix the issue.  This prompted me to give a closer look at the translation, and I noticed, in:

"<msgid>figure.label</msgid> <msgstr role='header'><i>Figure <number/></"
"i>&#x2003;</msgstr> <msgstr role='li'>ﺶﻜﻟ <number/>&#x2002;</msgstr> "
"<msgstr>ﺶﻜﻟ <number/></msgstr>"

That the first occurence of Figure (in <msgstr role="header") should also be translated.

For example in the German translation, it is:

"<msgid>figure.label</msgid> <msgstr role='header'><i>Abbildung <number/></"
"i>&#x2003;</msgstr> <msgstr role='li'>Abbildung <number/>&#x2002;</msgstr> "
"<msgstr>Abbildung <number/></msgstr>"
Comment 4 Khaled Hosny 2009-10-14 14:54:14 UTC
Sorry for not updating this report, I've noticed the missing translation after reporting here and fixed it in git, which I think have to wait for the next release of gnome-doc-utils.

The translation slipped mainly because of the extensive use of markup, which makes it hard to spot a missing translation.
Comment 5 André Klapper 2011-11-08 15:02:06 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> I've fixed it in git

Closing as FIXED.