GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 569457
wrong translations in gnome-user-share
Last modified: 2009-02-14 17:01:26 UTC
"When to accept files sent over Bluetooth. Possible values are \"always\", "
"\"bonded\", \"bonded_trusted\" and \"ask\"."
"Cuándo aceptar archivos enviados por Bluetooth. Los valores posibles son: "
"«siempre», «vinculados», «vinculados_y_de_confianza» y «preguntar»."
and in LOTS of other places:
These values are gconf values. Being a user, to change them in gconf you MUST set the english value. It is IMPOSSIBLE for spanish users to guess the english values if you translate the values to Spanish only. ;-)
"«always» (siempre), «bonded» (vinculados), «bonded_trusted» (vinculados y de confianza) y «ask» (preguntar)."
Please also check the other strings.
Might be worth to explain this issue (gconf key values) to the other spanish translators to avoid this happening in the future, don't know...
Good point, your proposal would solve this.
Andre, yes, I know it, but I didn't have time to fix it yet, however there *should* be a comment for all these strings.
Hmm, http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Use%20comments is very vague how this works for schema files and does not explain the format at all. It needs an update, a working example of comments in schema files is here: http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/evolution/trunk/plugins/email-custom-header/apps_evolution_email_custom_header.schemas.in?revision=37022&view=markup
And I think I disagree, it's file size bloat, and at least to me it's really obvious that these strings refer to gconf keys. But we should move this debate to gnome-i18n@ probably. (Grep'ed through Evo and found 38 wrong po files, hence it's not a spanish issue :-D )
Anybody feel free to write an email before I might do later tonight...
Spanish has 35 strings with potential issues which I found using pofilter.
I wrote a new check specifically for these gconf errors and specific to GNOME. This is in the Translate Toolkit and should be out in a few days with our 1.3 release.
Follow these instructions to install the toolkit from SVN:
Here are the steps I followed:
1) Download the PO files for Spanish:
2) Untarred them into gnome-2-26-es
3) Find the faulty string by running the gconf test:
pofilter --gnome -t gconf gnome-2-26-es gnome-2-26-es-gconf
4) Edit and review the PO files found in gnome-2-26-es-gconf
5) Merge the fixes back into the PO files
pomerge -t gnome-2-26-es gnome-2-26-es-gconf gnome-2-26-new
6) New updated files are in gnome-2-26-new commit these fixes the same way as you would normally do it.
Thank you very much Andre and Dwayne.
Indeed there were many mistakes for gconf keys. I removed all which appeared in the marked modules after following Dwayne explanation. There were just a few which were not mistakes, the rest are fixed.
I'm closing this bug.