GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 151301
nautilus is confused about the size of my desktop
Last modified: 2004-12-22 21:47:04 UTC
Distribution: Debian 3.1
Version: GNOME2.6.1 unspecified
Synopsis: nautilus is confused about the size of my desktop
Description of Problem:
Nautilus seems to store the information about how large the desktop is
on the session, rather than re-querying it every time. I have 2
configurations for my laptop: one where an external monitor is plugged
in (using Xinerama) and one where only the built-in monitor is used.
Furthermore Nautilus does not understand irregular desktop sizes.
Steps to reproduce the problem:
0. Configure a system with a smaller (shorter y-axis resolution) monitor
on the left, and a taller monitor on the right. I have a 1280x800
monitor on the left and a 1280x1024 monitor on the right.
1. Create a new user-account, start GNOME for the first time.
2. Create 10 new icons on the desktop (e.g. select "Create folder" menu
item 10 times)
3. Right click on desktop, "Clean up by name". [Result 1]
4. Shut down X.
5. Disconnect taller monitor and start X with a non-XInerama
ServerLayout that does not include the taller monitor.
6. Start X and log in again.
7. Right click on desktop, "Clean up by name". [Result 2]
8. Select from panel menu "Applications/Desktop
9. Remove nautilus from the session and apply.
10. Launch nautilus again. (I did it from a terminal as nautilus &;
11. Right click on desktop, "Clean up by name". [Result 3]
1. Icons are cleaned up as if my desktop is 2560x1024: some icons are
missing off the bottom of the screen and are not visible.
2. Same as 1.
3. Icons are properly cleaned up, and they are all visible.
I expect to get the results in #3 always, but only get them after
removing nautilus from the session and re-starting it with a smaller X
How often does this happen?
Every time I switch X configurations.
------- Bug moved to this database by email@example.com 2004-08-28 12:09 -------
Unknown platform unknown. Setting to default platform "Other".
Unknown milestone "unknown" in product "nautilus".
Setting to default milestone for this product, '---'
Setting to default status "UNCONFIRMED".
Setting qa contact to the default for this product.
This bug either had no qa contact or an invalid one.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 60280 ***