After an evaluation, GNOME has moved from Bugzilla to GitLab. Learn more about GitLab.
No new issues can be reported in GNOME Bugzilla anymore.
To report an issue in a GNOME project, go to GNOME GitLab.
Do not go to GNOME Gitlab for: Bluefish, Doxygen, GnuCash, GStreamer, java-gnome, LDTP, NetworkManager, Tomboy.
Bug 471910 - If you want to see a movie with srt subtitles on a samba shared partition totem doesn't work
If you want to see a movie with srt subtitles on a samba shared partition tot...
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 350299
Product: totem
Classification: Core
Component: GStreamer backend
Other Linux
: Normal major
: ---
Assigned To: Maintainer alias for GStreamer component of Totem
Maintainer alias for GStreamer component of Totem
Depends on:
Reported: 2007-08-30 16:08 UTC by dierre
Modified: 2007-08-30 19:19 UTC
See Also:
GNOME target: ---
GNOME version: 2.17/2.18

Description dierre 2007-08-30 16:08:29 UTC
I've tried both way: using smb:// address and mounting a samba partition but I've got the same error:

(totem:5895): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add `smb://' to the list of recently used resources, but not MIME type was defined
** Message: Error: Errore interno nel flusso di dati.
gstbasesrc.c(1642): gst_base_src_loop (): /play/subtitle-bin/gnomevfssrc0:
streaming task paused, reason not-linked (-1)

but if I delete the subtitles then totem works, without subtitle obviously.

NOTE: Vlc has the same problem using smb:// but it works fine using smbfs.
Comment 1 Bastien Nocera 2007-08-30 16:13:47 UTC
This is a problem with GStreamer as xine-lib doesn't even support using remote subtitles.
Comment 2 Tim-Philipp Müller 2007-08-30 16:35:18 UTC
What's the output of

  $ gst-inspect-0.10 decodebin | grep -i version

(or what version of gst-plugins-base is this)?

Comment 3 dierre 2007-08-30 17:29:41 UTC
Well, I didn't thought it was a gstreamer problem because remote subtitles sounds like a common movie player trouble. I'm sorry.

Tim this is the output:

dierre@thinkcool:~$ gst-inspect-0.10 decodebin | grep -i version
  Version:              0.10.12

Comment 4 Tim-Philipp Müller 2007-08-30 19:19:54 UTC
Thanks for the info.

Actually, this has nothing really to do with the subtitle file being on an external share (other than that it affects the timing).  It's a race condition in playbin that has been fixed in the latest release. If you're lucky, it might work occasionally if you try often enough.

Thanks for the bug report. This particular bug has already been reported into our bug tracking system, but please feel free to report any further bugs you find.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 350299 ***