GNOME Bugzilla – Bug 150203
Implement the support for the SRV DNS records, please
Last modified: 2007-03-24 00:30:11 UTC
Reading the jabberd's installation manual you can see that it talks about a nice
feature to let you have the jabber server in a different place than the A record
for the server domain but Gossip does not implements it.
Here you have the document link:
I was trying to use it and get mad because it did not worked until I detected
that the problem was with Gossip not handle the SRV record.
Yeah, been meaning to look into this for some time. Do you know how to ask for a
certain SRV record when doing the DNS lookup?
With code, no idea, but I think you can see it from the own jabber server
because they use it to connect the other jabber's servers.
From a normal user tool (extracted from the jabberd doc):
dig +short jabberserverhostname
The answer should be the IP of your Jabber server.
dig +short _jabber._tcp.jabberserverhostname SRV
dig +short _xmpp-server._tcp.jabberserverhostname SRV
The answers to this query should include the hostname of the machine running the
s2s service (typically the hostname of the main Jabber server which has the A
dig +short _xmpp-client._tcp.jabberserverhostname SRV
The answer to this query should include the hostname of the machine running the
c2s service (typically the hostname of the main Jabber server which has the A
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
I did some looking into this last night. As far as I can tell, this is going to
be a gigantic pain.
You start with this:
r = res_query( "_xmpp-client._tcp.desrt.ca", C_IN, ns_t_srv, answer, 1024 );
and then 'answer' (of length 'r') contains the reply in some strange raw format
that you have to interpret for yourself. The function that does this in
jabberd2 is quite large.
it's not high priority imho.
Created attachment 62881 [details]
Short program to query SRV records
I wrote this short program a while back, that queries SRV records. It's not toooo complicated.
I'd like to see this, too. Got stung trying to connect to Google today.
This is really in Loudmouth, added an issue for it there:
Thanks Micke, this is fixed as stated by the issue tracker in 1.3 branch for Loudmouth.